I hate to exercise. I really do. I admit fully and openly. I realize it is good for us and I realize it is necessary, but I definitely don’t enjoy it. Not even a little bit. So when I find out that there is an alternative to exercise that has the same effect, only better, you bet I sit up and take notice. Are you ready for it – Performing Acts of Kindness has a stronger effect then exercising four times a week!!!
Don’t believe me? Well you don’t have to take my word for it – it is a study that was performed at Harvard University and the results were published in Psychology Today – it is known as the Mother Theresa Effect. Here is what the study showed:
The Benefits of Performing Acts of Kindness
Research has shown that those who routinely engage in acts of kindness:
- Experience alleviation of stress
- Experience alleviation of chronic pain
- Experience alleviation of insomnia
- Experience fewer aches and pains
- Have a lessened likelihood of experiencing diseases and disorders
- Overall health is protected twice as much as aspirin protects against heart disease
- Have a significantly lower likelihood of dying of diseases
- Have markedly increased levels of Immunoglobulin A (antibody which boosts immunity)
- Have significant increase in Serotonin levels (chemical in brain that makes us feel good)
- Have decreased feelings of depression
- Have increased sense of happiness and optimism
- Have an increased sense of self worth
- Have enhanced feelings of joyfulness
- Have a boost in their sense of physical and emotional well being
The effects of doing acts of kindness have a stronger effect than exercising four times a week.
HOLLA!!! That is what I am talking about! That is fantastic! And doing acts of kindness is so much better than exercise, and WAY MORE FUN! Not only that but you don’t even have to break a sweat to do it. Even better :).
So if you want to get your daily workout in then go do an act of kindness – then BAM – see how much sexier you look because of it! Boo-yah!