Fun Ideas for Freaking Out Trick-or-Treater’s on Halloween
First I have to admit that there is little I enjoy LESS than the repeated doorbell ringing on the night of Halloween when you have to walk through the house for the ten millionth time to open the door and pass out candy. It’s not that I don’t enjoy seeing all the cute little kids with their cute little costumes, because I totally do…it’s just the fact that the doorbell rings and you give candy and then you wait for a moment to see if the next trick-or-treater isn’t far behind, but no one appears to be coming, so you lay down your candy and finally decide to go to the other room and then just as you get there DING DONG – it goes off again and you stand up and head back across to the front door, give out the candy….wait for a moment for the next trick-or-treater…get bored…walk away….DING DONG…You get the picture.
So in order to help entertain myself this year, along with any of you that suffer from the same dread of passing out candy that I have, I decided to look for fun ideas that you can use to entertain yourself on Halloween night during the candy giving rituals…
- One of my favorite things we did to entertain ourselves one year was to have Rollin dress up like a really scary scarecrow and he sat on the porch as if he was a stuffed person and not real just waiting on a chair. Then when the kids rang the doorbell he would jump up and scare them to death. It was incredibly fun to peek through the window and see.
- Another thing we do is have one person play the look-out and just as trick-or-treaters are coming close we hold down our door intercom and scream bloody murder. That always makes for a good scream on the other side of the door from the kids approaching.
- Another good one is to have your husband or wife wait outside in a black cloak, hidden. Then when the trick-or-treaters ring the bell and are busy taking candy from you at the door, your spouse sneaks up right behind them and just stands there quietly behind their backs – they will be paying attention to the candy so they won’t notice. Then you thank them and close the door as if nothing is up and when they turn to walk away they will freak out to see the person in the black cloak standing behind them.
- Another funny trick is to cover your face and shirt with chocolate and then have an empty bowl of nothing but candy wrappers in it (as if you ate it all) and when you open the door look down at the bowl in a guilty way and say “sorry…we gave it all away”..then you could do a fake burp for added effect of your prank and act embarrassed.
- Another fun idea is to go get a Piñata and tie it above your front door. When the trick-or-treaters show up hand them a stick and tell them the only way to get the candy is to hit and break the piñata. Don’t forget to blindfold them first. One hit each. Tell the kids that “No breaking the piñata=no candy for them”. But then really give them a candy from the bowl even if they don’t break open the piñata just so they won’t egg your house or something. Then if someone does break open the piñata let them have a ton of the candy. It will add a little excitement to the night.
- Okay now here is my favorite and I really want my husband to do this tonight. Take an old small card table or a large cardboard box that could look like a table. Cut a hole in the top big enough to fit a hand through (if you want to get even scarier you can cut the hole big enough to fit a head through but I will talk about the hand example for this). Now cover it with a table cloth and cut a hole in that, also to fit a hand through. Now find a big plastic bowl and cut a hole in that to fit a hand through. Put the table out on the front porch covered with your table cloth with the big candy bowl on top. Have your spouse get inside the box or under the table so they are hidden and have them put their hand through the hole in the box and the hole in the table cloth and the hole in the candy bowl. So now their hand is sitting inside the candy bowl. Fill the bowl with enough candy to cover their hand. Now sit quietly and when the trick-or-treaters arrive at the door tell them they can grab candy from the bowl. As they do your spouse will shoot their hand up to grab the trick-or-treaters hand and they will completely freak out! This one is an awesome scary idea so I totally want to try it this year.
I realize some people might think these ideas are juvenile and scary, but the fact is they are also entertaining for a mom who has A.D.D and who must be entertained by something if she is to keep her sanity for the hours on end of passing out candy to the kiddies.
I hope all of you have an amazing Halloween and I hope none of you were too cool to dress up in a costume, because we always dress up at our house and our office because we think that it’s the truly cool people who are confident enough to wear a costume and still be able to know how cool they actually are J.
Tagged A.D.D., candy, halloween, scary, trick-or-treat
This article was posted in Uncategorized
and tagged A.D.D.
Bookmark the permalink
Follow comments with the RSS feed for this post
or leave a trackback: Trackback URL