We live in a world where people go through relationships like they go through boxes of breakfast cereal. Many have relationships of convenience or relationships based on “having no one better so why not settle for this person??” Often times before ending one relationship people are out scouting for their next one, keeping their relationships going as if they were a revolving door. Divorce has honestly become so commonplace that one actually finds oneself surprised to find a happily married couple who has stayed together….and when its that rare circumstance where they might even like each other we are all stunned completely.
I came across the cutest quote ever!:
“When I’m older and my daughter asks who my first love was, I don’t want to have to pull out the old photo album. I want to be able to point out across the room and say – “He’s sitting right over there.””
None of us can change our relationship past….it is past. But we can change our relationship, present and future.
Remember the day you first met the love of your life? When you fell madly into love with them. When you would get butterflies when you were within a few feet of the person; experiencing those feeling are some of the very best types to experience for sure. Who doesn’t love getting the butterflies of love?!
And once you find that you have those butterfly feelings, you then have to work to keep them alive and active. An article in Psych Central Magazine gives a few tips on how you can do this:
- Show your appreciation every day.
- Surprise your partner – write them an unexpected note, or do something cute for him like leaving a sexy voice message or writing a sweet note.
- Carve out time to be together each week.
- Devise your dream getaway
- Take turns planning dates
- Mix things up once in a while
- Take a class together
- Pick activities that are unusual for you
- Spend 30 minutes a day talking
- Do chores
- Remember what first sparked your love
- Give up a grudge
- Have a lazy weekend together
- Do more things together
- Be intimate and remember that communication builds intimacy
Being in love is a great feeling. Being in a love that can endure the test of time is the ultimate great feeling. But creating that kind of love takes time and effort. You just can’t sit back idly by and expect things to turn out the way you had hoped they would.
Make an effort for the one you love. Practice doing some of the things from the psych central list above for your sweetheart and bring the butterflies back!
Have an amazing Tuesday everyone!!