There are a lot of differences between men and women – it is those differences that make us fall in love with each other and it is those same differences that often cause us to drive each other crazy sometimes. Even when both people in a relationship are good people, relationships are still going to be hard because men and women are so dang different – we handle things and process things so differently that there is bound to be moments of frustration in any relationship. That is why I think its important that we try to help one another understand how we both think and feel. We can’t read each other’s minds (and heaven help us if we could 🙂 ), so we have to find ways to communicate in as simple of terms as possible the things that we need or the things that make us feel special. The guesswork in a relationship doesn’t help either party…not even a little bit.
Today I came across an awesome article written by Nehe Sharma called “50 Things Girls Wish Guys Knew”. It was so dead on and simple to understand that I pulled out my favorite 36 points cause I figured most men would tune out way before they got number 50 :)…in all seriousness these are awesome points and they would help every man out there with his relationships with a woman.
Things Girls Wish Guys Knew
- Let us know you like us. You can dream all day, but if you don’t tell the woman you’re dreaming about how you feel, you can just keep dreaming.
- Be the man. Contrary to what some men may believe, very few women actually want to be the initiator. We like to be pursued, so pursue us!
- Don’t sugarcoat it. Don’t dance around a subject or coat it in sweet, white lies in order to spare our feelings. While the truth might hurt, it will hurt worse when we find out you lied about it.
- Show us you think about us. Whether it’s a simple phone call from work or a note left on the table, let us know you think about us even when you can’t physically see us.
- Send us flowers. It may sound old-fashioned to you, but we love to get flowers. Mix it up a bit though. If you send us the same tired bouquet of roses every time we have an argument, something is lost in the sentiment. Surprise us and send a beautiful vase of wildflowers for no reason at all.
- Think for yourself. We get tired of having to hint that something needs to be done. Take some initiative and take care of things without being told. Even if it is something as simple as taking the trash out, do it before we bring it up.
- Speaking of household chores, we love it when you show your appreciation and help out a little around the house. It really lets us know you take notice of all we do if you pitch in to help out once in a while.
- Surprise us. While we don’t want to constantly wonder what you are going to do next, we like a little spontaneity. Take us on a surprise date to somewhere we have never been.
- Notice the small things. Pay attention to the things we like. Learn what our favorite flower is or what kind of coffee we like. Show us you care enough to take notice.
- Respect our interests. You may not like the same movies we do or understand why we like a certain activity, but don’t put those things down.
- We don’t consider sitting with you on the couch while you play video games quality time.
- If you aren’t willing to go the extra mile to look like the heartthrob on our favorite soap opera, don’t expect us to look like a top model.
- Don’t let yourself go just because you know we will love you anyway.
- Open up to us. We know men typically don’t like to share their feelings, but it will earn you big points if you will. We won’t tell your friends.
- Listen to us. Don’t humor us and pretend you understand. Really listen and let us know that you heard what we said.
- Don’t try to solve all of our problems. Believe it or not, we don’t always want your advice. Sometimes we just need your shoulder to cry on.
- Don’t try to rescue us. If we need to be rescued, we will let you know.
- Chivalry is not dead. Men who open the door for ladies still exist. Be one of them.
- Treat all women the way you would want a man to treat your sister.
- Make us laugh. We would rather have a man who knows how to make us smile than one who goes to the gym every day but has no sense of humor.
- Tell us we’re beautiful even when we aren’t.
- Wipe the teardrops from our eyes when we cry.
- It’s okay if you can’t dance, but at least hold us when the music plays.
- Make decisions. We definitely want to be consulted in the decision making process, but be man enough to step up and finalize that decision.
- If you talk the talk, walk the walk. Make sure your actions match your words.
- If you want to know something, ask us. Don’t fish around for an answer.
- Cuddle us.
- Laugh with us, but never at us.
- Defend us when someone puts us down or says something against us.
- Hold our hand. We love it when you do simple things to show you care.
- Ask us what we want to watch on TV tonight.
- Kiss us on the cheek or forehead.
- Never forget our birthday.
- It is even worse if you forget our anniversary.
- Expect the unexpected. While this list is meant to help you understand us, understand that you will never completely understand us.
- Love us anyway.
Last but not least, my friend sent me this hilarious quote that I just had to share:
Have an amazing day and make sure to do at least a few things from the list above for the woman in your life.