We each may have our own definition of what the word success means to us in our lives, but I believe that success is something that each of us strive for. Figuring out how to achieve success has been the topic of countless books and articles throughout time. One particular article that I thought had great suggestions on achieving success was written by H. Jackson Brown, Jr. In his article he gave 21 suggestions for success, which are as follows:
21 Suggestions for Success:
- Marry the right person. This one decision will determine 90% of your happiness or misery.
- Work at something you enjoy and that’s worthy of your time and talent.
- Give people more than they expect and do it cheerfully.
- Become the most positive and enthusiastic person you know.
- Be forgiving of yourself and others.
- Be generous.
- Have a grateful heart.
- Persistence, persistence, persistence.
- Discipline yourself to save money on even the most modest salary.
- Treat everyone you meet like you want to be treated.
- Commit yourself to constant improvement.
- Commit yourself to quality.
- Understand that happiness is not based on possessions, power or prestige, but on relationships with people you love and respect.
- Be loyal.
- Be honest.
- Be a self-starter.
- Be decisive even if it means you’ll sometimes be wrong.
- Stop blaming others. Take responsibility for every area of your life.
- Be bold and courageous. When you look back on your life, you’ll regret the things you didn’t do more than the ones you did.
- Take good care of those you love.
- Don’t do anything that wouldn’t make your Mom proud.
That last bullet has to be my favorite as a mother myself. 🙂
I love his view of how to achieve success in life. To me success isn’t about money or fame or title, its about having good character. It’s about living your life with integrity and love and being a person you can feel proud of when each day is done. That is success in my book. And I think his suggestions are awesome ways to work toward that. I am really grateful I came across his article as it was truly inspiring.
May we live a successful life by being the best person we can be.