It was probably ten years ago when someone sent me an article titled “How To Be Awesome”. It didn’t list the name of the person who wrote the article but it read:
HOW TO BE AWESOME
“Being awesome, quite literally, means to elicit awe. Awe is not something people express much these days. So to be truly awesome, you must find a way to inspire this rare reaction:
* Develop a talent. Whatever your talent is, pursue it relentlessly. People who become “awesome” at what they do invest time into getting there. In fact, it’s been said that in order to become great at something, you need to spend 1,000 hours practicing.
* Show off your talent. You could be the most amazing dancer or writer in the world, but you won’t inspire awe in people if people never see your talent.
* Be funny. Most people like someone who can make them smile and laugh.
* Be adventurous! Explore interesting things, be daring and not afraid to stand up to mean people!
* Be stylish. Develop a style and have a trade-mark accessory by which everyone will recognize you are as soon as they see that accessory.
* Have a personality and don’t do anything that would be a turn-off. Be nice, kind, friendly, funny, and somewhat charming (both inside and out). People don’t like a mean, selfish, unfriendly, boring person.
* Unlock your inner awesome. The most awesome people aren’t even aware of their awesomeness. They just are. The awesomeness must come from a place within you. You can never force it out.
Awesomeness will come from inside you. You probably don’t know it’s there. But it is inside everyone, it’s just waiting for you to open that door and set it free. You rock this world, so show them whose boss!” (end of article)
I 100% believe there is awesomeness inside every single one of us that is waiting to be set free. We are each born with a set of gifts and talents that are meant to be discovered, cultivated, and shared. And whatever gifts and talents we were given aren’t ever more or less important than those someone else possess – each were meant to serve a different purpose of equal import. So put your heart and soul into developing yours because when you do it’s AWESOME!!!
~Amy Rees Anderson (author of the book “What Awesome Looks Like: How To Excel in Business & Life” )